Bob Gross Sports Journalism Memorial Scholarship
Established by the family and friends of Bob Gross, a sports reporter at the Lansing State Journal, who died in an accident early in his career. He had a 34-year career with the Lansing State Journal and received an award from the Greater Lansing Area Sports Hall of Fame for “Exemplary Dedication and Commitment to High School Sports.” This scholarship is intended for an incoming freshman, although an existing undergraduate student may be considered if no incoming students meet the criteria.
- Recipients should be a high school senior graduating from a school within the designated areas, must have demonstrated sound academic performance, must demonstrate an interest in and intent in pursuing a career in journalism, and must be accepted into and plan to attend Michigan State University with an intended major of journalism for the upcoming fall.
- Graduating high school seniors should attend school within one of these designated areas: Clinton County Regional Educational Service Agency, Eaton Regional Education Service Agency, Gratiot-Isabella Regional Education Service District, Ionia County Intermediate School District, Ingham Intermediate School District, Mecosta-Osceola Intermediate School District or Lansing Catholic High School.
- Financial need may be considered.
- Preference may be given to students interested in being sports journalists.
- Existing undergraduate journalism students may be considered if no incoming freshmen meet this criteria.
Prospective students who have not yet received a NetID to log into the MSU Scholarships system may apply for this scholarship at https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8BVPELBR7VQ9cI5