Grand Traverse MSU Alumni Club Endowed Scholarship

Each year, the Grand Traverse Alumni Club invites area high school seniors and NMC students who apply and plan to attend MSU to apply to the Club’s scholarship. The MSU Grand Traverse Area Spartans (GTAS) Alumni Club scholarships are awarded to students from Antrim, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, and Leelanau counties, along with seniors from Buckley Community High School in Wexford county. Scholarships are also available to NMC students who have graduated from these high schools and are transferring to MSU.

A scholarship, in memory of Vernon F. Barker, Sr., a World War II veteran, is available for a veteran, or a son, daughter or grandchild of a veteran of any branch of the United States Armed Forces or Coast Guard. And a scholarship, in memory of MSU Alumnus Lyle DeYoung, is available to a senior from either Traverse City Central or West Senior High School.

Responsible Unit
Supplemental Questions
  1. Grand Traverse MSU Alumni Club Scholarship
    • A. Please tell us in your own words "what it means to you to become a Michigan State University student and future Spartan alumni member?"
    • B. Please copy and upload your Michigan State University essay (minimum 250 words, maximum 650 words) that you selected from one of seven (7) online essay prompts and questions that you originally submitted with your application for admission.
    • C. Please highlight your high school and or/ Northwestern Michigan College student special interests, favorite courses, and/or community activities?
    • D. Please tell us briefly about any acknowledgements, special honors and awards you have received - include both academic and non-academic
    • E. As a student, either in high school or enrolled at Northwestern Michigan College, were you employed?
    • F. Do you plan to to be employed while a Michigan State University student?
    • G. If you are a United States military service veteran, or daughter, son, or grandchild of a veteran of the United States Armed Forces or Coast Guard, please upload proof of your military service, or that of your parents or grandparents’ military service, for example: current military ID, honorable discharge, or retirement papers (copy and upload here)