John H. Krieg Memorial Scholarship in Journalism
A 1982 J-School graduate, John Krieg worked for a variety of small and mid-sized daily newspapers in Michigan. He worked for the State News as a copy editor and garnered numerous writing awards during his time on campus. He was news editor of the Morning Sun in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. He died in an apartment fire in Mount Pleasant in 1984. He was just 23 years old. Friends and colleagues established this scholarship in his memory.
- This award is open to full or part-time juniors majoring in journalism (as of the upcoming fall)
GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Expressed career interest in newspaper journalism
- Preference will be given to students who have or are working or interning at a newspaper, or have financial need
- Application must include essay on the applicant’s philosophy of working with people
- Supplemental Questions
- Please write a short essay on your philosophy of working with people.